Thursday, August 11, 2011

Srilankan green beans curry

         I had this dish in Srilankan airways, when I was flying to India to attend my cousin's wedding in 2000.They served this curry with white rice and yellow fish curry. I liked the taste of it. So after returning back, I searched the internet and got the recipe, it had the similar taste when I made. So give it a try!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups  fresh or frozen green beans(cut into 1 1/2 inches long)
1/2 cup sliced onion
3 slit green chillies
1 cup thick coconut milk(I prefer Maggi coconut milk powder, so that you can adjust the thickness)
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp fennel or sounf powder
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste


For tempering:
1/2 tsp black mustard seed
1/4 tsp urad dal
few sprigs curry leaves
4 tbsp oil

Method:
Heat the oil. Add mustard, urad dal and curry leaves. After mustard pops, add sliced onion and green chillies and cook till the onion is slightly brown. Add the beans and saute well. Add 1/2 cup of water and salt;cover the pot and cook the beans well. Once the beans are soft, add chilli powder, fennel powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and coconut milk and let it cook on high flame for another 5 minutes with the lid open.Serve this hot with roti or rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment