Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gulab Jamun

This is our all time favourite dessert. I wanted to master the art of making this mouth-watering dessert. I tried buying those ready made mix, but it  either breaks apart or is very hard . So I browsed  through blogs, YouTube and tried many recipes , everything was a flop. Then I remembered eating this a long time back at a Bangladeshi friends house. So I quickly called her and got the recipe and tried it right away. Trust me, this recipe is "the perfect one" and you can't go wrong with it, if you follow this faithfully. Thanks to Bulu bhabi for sharing this  recipe. When my husband returned from work I surprised him with this and he said with a nod "mmm...not bad", that’s what he always says when he enjoys the food.


Ingredients
2 c nonfat dry milk powder
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp baking powder 
      
For syrup:
3 cups sugar
6 cups water
Few drops rose essence
Oil for deep frying
Method:
Combine flour, milk powder and baking powder and mix well. Add whipping cream and knead it to soft dough. Roll it into marble size balls.
Heat oil in a deep pan on medium heat. Drop this ball and fry it evenly till golden brown. Drain it into a paper towel. Bring these to room temperature.
In another saucepan, add sugar and water and the essence and bring it to a boil. Drop these fried balls in the simmering syrup. And allow it to simmer for another 5 minutes, the balls will double in size. Switch off the stove and serve it after 2 hrs.

1 comment: